Villarreal U23s will, for the sixth consecutive season, take part in the Premier League International Cup. A title that they won four seasons ago, after beating PSV Eindhoven in the final.
The aim of the Premier League International Cup is to promote and strengthen youth football on British soil, with it being a learning experience to play alongside teams from the most powerful leagues in Europe. The tournament is made up of 24 teams: 12 British sides and 12 other clubs from around Europe with a tradition of a strong academy, including Villarreal CF.
This time, the Yellows U23s have been placed in Group A alongside Arsenal, Leicester City and Dinamo Zagreb.
Composition of groups:
- Group A: Villarreal CF, Arsenal, Leicester City, Dinamo Zagreb.
- Group B: Brighton & Hove Albion, West Ham United, Valencia CF, Wolfsburg.
- Group C: Blackburn Rovers, Newcastle United, Hertha de Berlín, SL Benfica.
- Group D: Everton, Swansea City, FC Porto, PSV Eindhoven.
- Group E: Liverpool, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Athletic Club, Paris Saint-Germain.
- Group F: Derby County, Southampton, AS Monaco, Feyenoord.