The Villarreal U23 team are participating, for the fourth consecutive season, in the Premier League International Cup. The Villarreal U23 team are taking part in the prestigious tournament with hopes of going very far. In fact, just two seasons ago, the Villarreal B team were champions of the tournament as they beat PSV Eindhoven in the final.
The objective of the U23 Premier League International Cup is to encourage and enrich youth football on British soil by providing a superior training experience with the inclusion of teams from the strongest European leagues. The Premier League has chosen 12 English teams and 12 European clubs, with a distinguished Academy tradition, to participate and among those is Villarreal CF.
On this occasion, Villarreal U23 have been drawn into Group F of the competition alongside SL Benfica, Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United.
The groups for the 2017/18 competition are:
- Group A: Sparta Praha, Liverpool, Newcastle United and PSV Eindhoven.
- Group B: Hertha BSC, Legia Warsaw, Leicester City and Sunderland.
- Group C: Derby County, GNK Dinamo Zagreb, Everton and VfL Wolfsburg.
- Group D: Athletic Club Bilbao, Celtic FC, Manchester United and Swansea City.
- Group E: Arsenal, FC Bayern Munich, FC Porto and Reading.
- Group F: Villarreal CF, SL Benfica, Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United.
The Yellows fixtures in Group F are as follows (time in Spain):
- Wednesday 20th September: Villarreal U23 vs SL Benfica U23 (3-2).
- Wednesday 4th October: West Ham United U23 vs Villarreal U23 (0-3).
- Tuesday 14th November: Tottenham Hotspur U23 vs Villarreal U23 (0-2).
After progressing from the Group stage of the competition, Villarreal U23 will take on Manchester United in the Quarter-finals:
- Tuesday 27th February: Manchester United U23 vs Villarreal U23 (0-2).