Villarreal beat Girona away (1-2) with two goals by Bakambu in the first half. Javi Calleja’s side took the three points in a match full of great football, where the Yellows were required to stay solid at the back towards the end of the second half.
The Yellows came out strong at the Montilivi stadium. In the 4th minute, Bakambu broke through the Girona back line for the first time. The French-Congolese striker made his way into the box and tried to find Sansone, but the Yellows number 18 missed the ball by centimetres. That was the warning sign for what was about to come.
With just eight minutes on the clock, Bakambu put the Yellows in front. The Submarine’s top goal scorer was very active in the first half and on this occasion he converted. He brought down a great ball by Manu Trigueros and made no mistake against Iraizoz, placing his shot firmly into the bottom corner.
In the 20th minute, Pablo Fornals split the home side’s back line with a brilliant outside-of-the-foot ball into space for Bakambu to run onto. The Yellows number 17 carried the ball into the box and fired past Iraizoz into the back of the net. The Yellow Submarine could not have got off to better start on LaLiga Matchday 8.
Just before the break though, Girona FC started to cause problems for Barbosa. In the 38th minute the Argentinean goalkeeper tipped a Stuani header over the bar and out for a corner kick. Then, from the corner, Stuani made no mistake the second time, pulling one back for the locals with a tap in at the far post.
After the break, Girona looked dangerous on the wings. A succession of crosses from the Girona full backs put the Yellows under pressure, but the Submarine held strong.
Eventually the Yellows got going again and started to create danger on the counterattack. In the 63rd minute, Bacca came on for Sansone and had the third goal at his feet. The Colombian jumped on a rebound in the box and let rip a powerful shot, but Iraizoz was equal to it.
In the final minutes the Yellows fought to keep Girona at bay, as the locals pressed for the equaliser. Then, against the run of play and in added time, Soriano was through on goal but was unlucky as his effort came back off the post. In the end the Yellow Submarine clinched the victory and came away with three very important points, putting Villarreal in 8th place with 13 points in the LaLiga Santander table.
The Yellows’ next match is this Thursday against SK Slavia Prague at the Estadio de la Cerámica (9:05pm CEST).
- Villarreal CF: Barbosa; Mario Gaspar, Álvaro, Víctor Ruiz, Jaume Costa; Rodrigo, Trigueros, Fornals, Castillejo; Sansone and Bakambu.
- Girona FC: Iraizoz; Bernardo, Ramalho, Maffeo, Juanpe, Aday (Mojica, m. 64); Pere Pons, Granell (Kayode, m. 45), Borja García, Portu (Douglas, m. 70); and Stuani.
- Goals: 0-1. Min. 8: Bakambu. 0-2. Min. 19: Bakambu. 1-2. Min 39: Stuani.
- Referee: Carlos del Cerro Grande (Madrid). Cautioned: Portu, Kayode and Stuani for Girona; as well as Álvaro, Rodrigo, Bacca and Bakambu for Villarreal.
- Stadium: Estadi de Montilivi. (9,935 spectators).
- Match Information: Match corresponding to Matchday 8 of the La Liga Santander between Girona FC and Villarreal CF.